Thursday, July 31, 2014

Sun Bonnet Sue

It was a treat just to see this antique Sun Bonnet Sue, and then to get to quilt it, well that was a real privilege.


Aren't they just adorable?  And these blocks are the real deal, truly hand stitched with flour sack fabrics.


The discoloring you see here is the printing on the flour sacks.  You can also see the detail of the hand stitching, and the work put into each block.




I did a large cross hatch in each block.  I wanted to keep the quilting simple, yet showcase the Sues.


I added a little detail in the border, and a simple loop in the sashing.


This quilt is so full of history, love and memories.  What a treasure.  I am so happy I was able to be a part of finishing it.  Thank you Lucille.

Thanks to all of you for joining me, I appreciate your company.

Esther

7 comments:

  1. My mother made 60 Sunbonnet Sue blocks exactly like this sometime in the 1940s. My sisters and I each made a quilt with Mom's blocks. We truly treasure our Sues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! Your quilting is just perfect for this quilt. I have a vintage sunbonnet sue mush like this, except mine is all hand quilted. I think they must have been kits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so adorable. I'm surprised that Sue is seeming to make a comeback lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect quilting choices for this treasure! Well done! So fitting that you were a part of finishing this one. Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the whimsey & the cute simplicity!

    ReplyDelete