Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Practicing with a purpose

I am a longarm quilter, but I also want to learn how to quilt on a domestic.  I think it would come in handy from time to time, and it is a skill I want to learn.  But, I am not good at practicing.  I doodle, and practice, but I don't do it with intent, or very seriously if that makes any sense.  Well, I figured out a way to practice my FMQ on a domestic, and auditioning a design at the same time.


I stitched out this motif using my domestic machine, using FMQ techniques.  Then I was able to use as a good visual by pinning it to the quilt I want to use the motif on.


This picture is actually a paper template, but using the quilted sample, I was able to get a much better idea how it would look.


So, I used it in my next quilt.

Thanks, Esther

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! I too use my domestic once in a while for FMQ. I dont want to loose that skill. What a great idea to use it to audition designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. So did you quilt the whole quilt on the domestic? How do you get the outside arcs so smooth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a neat idea. I quilt on a domestic, well, sitdown longarm now, but I would like to quilt on a stand up. A little afraid of the learning curve though.

    ReplyDelete