Monday, September 15, 2014

Carol's Applique, no Applique

Carol made this beautiful applique quilt, but she admitted that she got tired of appliqueing.  That's where quilting can make a difference.  


Here is the finished quilt, and you can see a few blocks that appear to be blank.



So, this is how I quilted them,



These next few photos show how I treated the border.  I was so happy with this idea of doing one design on one side of the teardrops, and another design on the other side.  And, what made me really happy is as far as I know, I thought of this one myself.  Woo Hoo.  I am highly influenced by other quilters, and use their ideas all the time, and I'm okay with that, but this one I thought of myself.   It may be out there somewhere, but I haven't seen it, so that counts for me.


The batting is a high loft polyester (from Joann's) and it shows the texture and definition of the quilting so well.


I tried to keep the quilting in the blocks simple, and basically let them speak for themselves.  Between the design of the blocks and the high loft batting, SID did the trick for most of them.




This quilt was fun, challenging, and I think a great success.  

Thanks for joining me, I appreciate it.

Esther

13 comments:

  1. That quilting is fantastic Esther. I love how you quilted that blank blocks to replicate the applique-it really works. Love how you did the border with a different design on each side. I visit a lot of blogs and I have never seen this before so I would claim it as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's an Esther original! Gorgeous! Perfect solution to balance the applique and love how you quilted in additional blocks into the borders. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I have always believed that a quilt doesn't come to life until the quilting is done and you prove that with your beautiful work. I love your solution, it looks like Carol fully intended for you make magic on the open areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...love your new treatment with the two designs on the sides of the teardrops. I very unique quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, creative quilting-love the green border treatment, simple but what a difference the outlining of the loops makes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a genius !!! Love the blocks that mimick the appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! That really looks great and I too like the idea of different designs on each side of the teardrops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all your love all your fabulous quilting, especially the split border!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you quilted the blocks that did not have any piecing or applique to echo the applique design.........very beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous quilting. Making those ghost shapes in place of missing applique is brilliant, and it really makes an impact. well done!

    ReplyDelete