Sunday, April 1, 2012

Urban Nine Patch.....Finished

Yea!  I am so happy with this quilt, and so happy to be finished with it.  I love it.  Deciding what to quilt on this was very difficult for me, and all the ideas I first came up with just didn't seem to work.  I am so looking forward to seeing how others quilt their curved nine patch., or Urban Nine Patch as it is officially named.  Having finished this one, I now think I have ideas for another, but that will have to wait because I have to get back to work on customer quilts.
The quilt is 35 blocks, but I am a dork with my camera and didn't get the whole quilt in the picture.  You get the idea though.  I made it large enough to go on a twin bed in my sewing room.
I continued the block quilting into the solid white borders.  This part of the quilt, makes me so happy.   I loved watching the plain fabric take on an identity of it's own.  Now I want to make a quilt using solid colors even more than I did before.  The quilting is so rewarding on the solid colors, it shows up so well and makes me smile.
The back is a solid grey, and I love it too.  Again, I am not very good at the photo part of this, but hey, I can only get better right?  I just decided if I waited until I felt I could do it "right", I never would have started a blog.  I am definitely learning as I go.  Anyway, I used grey thread in the bobbin, and mostly white on the top.  I don't ever do this, and now I know why.  Overall it worked well, but it did take more fussing, and checking and re-checking the tension, and any little glitch just screams at you from the back side.  I'm glad I tried it out, and may do it again, but it won't be my standard.  That, and I think the quilting would have looked amazing in white thread on the grey backing.
Quilting close up.
So here's to you Jenny, it is finally finished.  Thanks for your great ruler, great tutorials, and inspiration.

12 comments:

  1. This turned out so cute! I love how you quilted it. Looks like it took a lot of work. I haven't decided how to quilt mine yet but getting close. I think you're doing a great job on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally! I could just stare at this all night! You did such a fantastic job on it and I'm still amazed at how detailed you went on the quilting...but it was so worth it, it looks amazing! It's definitely a keeper!! I've just finished piecing my 25 blocks for my pattern quilt and can't wait to see what it looks like all pieced together. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - F A B U L O U S! What an incredible quilting - congrats on your beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is gorgeous! love your quilting - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Lord! It is beautiful! You inspired me to purchase the ruler, I only hope mine comes out half as lovely as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FANTASTIC!!!! Am so going to have to get this ruler!
    Thanks for sharing. Your work is inspiring!
    Cheers
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Lovely quilt with beautiful quilting. Thanks for the introduction to Jenny's ruler!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...that look greate, fabulous quilting.
    Hanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is stunning!! Thanks for sharing with all of us! I'm new at long arm quilting and just trying to take it all in and learn! I am so inspired with your work! Just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Work! I love your color combo and the quilting is fabulous ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is spectacular Esther! Your quilting is beautiful. I love the fabric choices too.

    ReplyDelete