Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sometimes less is best

This adorable baby quilt was made by Annette, and she tells me it is her first quilt!  Well, if this is her first, I hope she continues quilting because she is an amazing quilter.  Her machine applique was some of the best I've ever seen.
These pics are all sideways, and that is just the way they are.  
There is minky for the back of the quilt and the goal was to make the finished quilt soft and cuddly.  So, I went with no batting and minimal quilting.  Mostly SID and a just a little more.


There is just a little hint of quilting on the back.  It worked out perfectly.

A few hints for working with minky.  I loaded it with the selvages on the leaders.  This way the side to side stretch is minimized.   When I rolled it, I was extra careful not to stretch it, and left it quite loose while quilting.  Other than that I had no issues at all.  The little bit of quilting kept the top and backing together, but did not interfere with the softness and cuddliness of the finished quilt.  So, for this quilt, less was best.

Thanks for checking in, I appreciate it.

Esther

1 comment:

  1. This quilt is adorable, and the applique is amazing -- beautiful smooth edges. And your quilting was spot on! Lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete