Wednesday, August 29, 2012

T-shirt quilt



 I have the top for the T-shirt quilt pieced, and I am very happy with it.  I will try to walk you through my process.  I know there are many ways to put together a T-shirt quilt, so this is my journey with fifty, yes fifty shirts.  Many of the shirts had memories front and back.


 I cut the logos out of the shirt front or back, depending on it's size.  Some were small, 9", some 12" and some were really large, 15".  I cut the shirts into blocks either 9, 12, or 15" wide, and pieced them together into blocks either 15" or 24" tall.


 This is a shirt front that I cut into two pieces, stitched together to make a 15" block.  On the front of the shirt was the team logo, and the player number.  I wanted both of these in the block, so I pieced it together.  I love that I kept the buttons on the block.


 After I had a fairly solid plan, the athlete went to some more tournaments, and received some more T-shirts that needed to be incorporated into the quilt.  ARAGHHHHH!!!  But it was necessary that these shirts be added to the whole quilt, as these were the end result of all the tournaments before.  I get it.


This block above uses multiple logos, and finishes 9" x 24"


In this photo you can see the horizontal rows, the widths vary so there is a very random feel to the quilt top.  With the addition of shirts after the initial plan was made, there are two rows that are 15" tall rather than the 24".  I actually like the look of the difference in height between the rows.


I am so glad the top is pieced, it measures over 100" square so it is a big one.  This was a huge challenge, and I am very pleased with the result.  The backing is getting washed now, and hope to get this on the quilting machine soon.

Thanks for joining me on my journey, I appreciate it.

Esther

4 comments:

  1. I really like your layout. Watch out for those buttons :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is really amazing. I can't imagine how much patience it took to lay out the entire quilt & fit the blocks together. It looks wonderful! I can't wait to see how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great quilt that's going to make someone very happy! Did you have to do anything to keep the squares from stretching? I really enjoyed looking through your blog, and was very interested in the dog story. Had no idea of that program and I live in WA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther it looks amazing. You were very patient to have more T-shirts added after you had started! I can't wait to se how you quilt it.
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete