Thursday, October 4, 2012

Celtic Progress



First block completed
I am having so much fun with this quilt, and so far my plan is working.  You know how it is when you  have that really great idea that when you actually put the idea to the test, it turns out to be not so good an idea after all?  Well, I am so happy because my "great" idea for piecing this quilt is working out just like I planned.  

This quilt is made of  two and a half inch blocks.  Lots and lots of them.  I figured there must be some way to do some strip piecing.  
I stitched combinations of strips together, then cut the strips into two and a half inch cuts.

When I go to assemble a block, I check my graph, and select the combinations I need for that block.

This nine patch needs a three strip of white, a single white with a double yellow, and then a single white, yellow and green.  (I know pretty basic, but just in case there were any questions)

Just cock your head to the right, and it will all be in order
So, I pull these combinations out of my strip pile, line them up and start stitching, and then I have my nine patch completed.  Continue with the other nine patches in this block, sew those nine patches together and now you have your completed block.

I am in that wonderful "state of being" (don't really know what to call it) when I am excited about a project, things are working well, and I am staying up late at night just to see the next row finished.  Love that.  I have been struggling with some unfinished projects lately, so it is nice to have my passion back, starting something new that is really old, and enjoying it all the way.

I hope you are enjoying what you are working on, or you have something fun waiting for you.  Thanks for joining me with my new project, I appreciate it.
Esther

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Esther! Figuring out how to strip piece this will save you so much time, so good for you!
    It is wonderful when you start that new project and you just keep on sewing, and sewing, and sewing -- just because you need to see the next step! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete